In the earliest records, dating back to 1772, “Cotton Town” church was a predecessor to the current Mount Hermon Baptist Church. Worship services were held in the homes of members on the last Saturday of the month, led by deacons or someone licensed to preach.
Later, “North Fork of Otter” was constituted in 1787 by the same group of leaders associated with the “Cotton Town” congregation, presumably its successor. Mount Hermon Baptist Church is the current name of this congregation.
The congregation began meeting in Hatcher’s Meeting House, which was erected in 1805 and later moved to another location in 1806.
During the early days, Mount Hermon was home to several great leaders. The “Bedford Plowboys” were two local boys, Daniel Witt and Jeremiah Jeter, who became Virginia’s first State Missionaries. They traveled around all over the state, stopping and helping people in the fields and inviting Baptist Congregations to become part of the newly founded Baptist General Association of Virginia. These two later went on to become very influential in Baptist life. Jeremiah Jeter, a prolific writer, was the editor of the Religious Herald, the religious journal of the Baptist General Association of Virginia, from 1865-1880. Daniel Witt went on to found several churches in the Richmond area.
The year 1845 was an eventful one. The first stove was bought at a cost of $18.65, mission work began, and the first Sunday School was started. The year 1856 marks the date of the first recorded Revival Meeting.
At times the number of colored members was almost equal to that of the whites. In 1864 a resolution was passed allowing the colored members “to form an independent church, have the right to elect their own pastor and other officers, but amenable to the white church.”   In 1866 this membership withdrew and formed “The Otterville Colored Baptist Church”- today “Otterville Baptist Church.”
William E. Hatcher was saved and ordained
to ministry at Mount Hermon. In 1869, he
was elected as pastor of Mount Hermon at
a salary of $250 a year, but he refused. 
Hatcher went on to pastor several churches
in the Richmond area. Becoming very influential
in the field of education, he was the President
of the Board of Trustees for Richmond College
(today University of Richmond.)   He later went
on to found the Fork Union Military Academy in 1898.  
He also served as editor for the Religious Herald
from 1882-1885.
In 1895 the church voted to send a missionary, Miss Edmonia Sale, to China. Money was collected quite often for this cause.
In 1904 the church voted to buy a cemetery lot, but the project was not completed until two years later. The church purchased two acres of land for $40.00. Lots were sold to families at $6.00, $4.00 and $2.00 according to the grade of the lot.
Records indicate that in 1905 the janitor, Walter Spinner, was paid 75 cents per month.
In 1930, at the 152nd anniversary, an offering of $125.00 was taken to pay off the debt for recent improvements to the church. A new floor had been laid and the church painted inside and out.
One at a time physical changes have come to Mount Hermon: electric lights, stained glass windows, a vestibule, central heat and air conditioning, carpeting and pews with cushions.   A basement was dug out from underneath the original building in 1974. With this remodeling project, running water and indoor restrooms were added to the church for the first time. In the 1980s the educational wing was added, increasing the number of classrooms and expanding the fellowship hall downstairs. A baptistery was also added during this construction.
In recent years, Mount Hermon continues to build for the future, with new floors in the basement, new communion ware, and the building of a playground.
We look back with a sense of gratitude and pride at the vision of our forefathers and ask God’s guidance for our continued ministry into the future.


Pastors of Mount Hermon Baptist Church
1. George Rucker, 1809-1810
2. Enoch W. Terry, 1818-1826
3. Jesse Witt, 1827
4. Jeremiah Hatcher, 1831
5. William Leftwich, 1834
6. Alexander Eubank, 1857
7. J.L. Gwaltney, 1858-1859
8. William Harris, 1863
9. James A Davis, 1870-1874
10. John L. Lawless, 1876-1880
11. F.M. Satterwhite, 1881
12. A. Jusdon Reamy , 1882-1883
13. James A. Davis, 1885-1887
14. Reuben B. Boatwright, 1889-1893
15, James P. Luck, 1894
16. J Paul Essex, 1895
17. Dr. John T. Kincanon, 1897
18. W. B. James, 1898-1901
19. W.T. Henderson, 1902-1907
20. James P. Luck, 1906-1907
21. A.M. Rittenhour, 1908-1909
22. James P. Luck, 1910-1913
23. C. Kelly Hobbs, 1914-1918
24. Penn A. Anthony, 1919
25. Horace L. Wilkerson, 1920-1925
26. Mathias B. Major, 1926-1927
27. Lewis D. Craddock, 1929-1933
28. Frank A. Brumfield, 1935-1948
29. John B. Thurman, 1950-1951
30. Thomas E. Weringo, 1952-1953
31. Eugene Campbell, 1954-1959
32. Bobby C. Buchanan, 1960-1962
33. S. W. Elliot, 1963
34. E.C. Brewer, 1965-1967
35. Carl R. Davis, 1968-1969
36. Nathan C. Napier 1970-1985
37. David Schrock, 1986-1989
38. Dr. Kenneth Bryan, 1991-1999
39. Seaburn Daniel, 2000-2002
40. Rick Kallstrom, 2003-2005
41. Mark Flores, 2005– present